Saturday, September 10, 2011

7 Good Ways To Get Free of Negative Emotions


-- from the book "The Power Of A Praying Woman" by Stormie Omartian

1) Refuse to be ANXIOUS

  John 16:33
New International Version (NIV)
    33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

Psalm 94:19
New International Version (NIV)
19 When anxiety was great within me, 
        your consolation brought me joy.

2) Refuse to be ruled by ANGER

Ephesians 4:26-27
New International Version (NIV)
26 “In your anger do not sin”[a]: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27 and do not give the devil a foothold.
Proverbs 29:22
New International Version (NIV)
  22 An angry person stirs up conflict, 
    and a hot-tempered person commits many sins.

3) Refuse to be DISSATISFIED

Philippians 4:11-13
New International Version (NIV)
11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through Him who gives me strength.


4) Refuse to be ENVIOUS

James 3:16-17
New International Version (NIV)
16 For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.
17 But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.


5) Refuse to be DEPRESSED

Many people of the Bible understood what depression feels like:
Psalm 6:6-7
 6 I am worn out from my groaning.
     All night long I flood my bed with weeping 
     and drench my couch with tears. 
7 My eyes grow weak with sorrow; 
   they fail because of all my foes.
Psalm 69:20
20 Scorn has broken my heart 
      and has left me helpless; 
      I looked for sympathy, but there was none, 
      for comforters, but I found none.
Psalm 119:28
28 My soul is weary with sorrow; 
        strengthen me according to your word.
  • The good news is that God doesn't want us to live with these feelings.
Psalm 6:8-9
 8 Away from me, all you who do evil, 
    for the LORD has heard my weeping. 
9 The LORD has heard my cry for mercy; 
    the LORD accepts my prayer.

6) Refuse to be BITTER

Acts 8:23
23 For I see that you are full of bitterness and captive to sin.”
Psalm 13:2
2 How long must I wrestle with my thoughts 
    and day after day have sorrow in my heart? 
    How long will my enemy triumph over me?
Hebrews 12:15
15 See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile      many.
  • Pray to God to set you free from bitterness.
7) Refuse to be HOPELESS

  Proverbs 22:5
 5 In the paths of the wicked are snares and pitfalls, 
        but those who would preserve their life stay far from them.

*** Philippians 4:6-7***
6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment